In chapter 50 of Don Quijote, the crazy knight is being taken home by his friends. A cathedral priest, who was journeying down the same rode saw the Don and entered into a friendly conversation. The subject of the island, which Sancho was going to be given came up, and their was a question as to if Sancho could run it, and Sancho replied that he would give it to someone who could, and enjoy the money which came out of it.
"Ah, brother Sancho," replied the cathedral priest, "but that only takes care of enjoying the rent, and the lord of an estate has to be responsible for administering justice, and this requires ability and common sense, and especially a determination to do the right thing, and if you start without that, then everything will go wrong, and end wrong - which is why God helps carry out the simple man's wishes, just as He sets His face against the wise man's evil intentions."
"I don't know anything about those philosophies," replied Sancho. "All I know is that as soon as I get to be count, I'll know how to act like a count, because I've got just as much soul as the next man, and maybe even more body, and I'd be just as much the ruler of my estates as anyone else is of his, and when I'm in charge I'll do what I want to do, and doing what I want to do, I'll make myself happy, and making myself happy, I'll be satisfied, and when I'm satisfied, that's all I could ask for, and having all I could ask for, that'll be the end of it, so let the estate come and leave the rest to God and then, as one blind man said to the other, we'll see what we'll see."
"That philosophy makes a lot of sense, Sancho-- but just the same, there's a lot to be said about this business of governing estates."
I think that this conversation is really hilarious. Sancho proved as sane as are crazy hero. He thinks that he is going to get to be the governor of an island, and that he'll even be good at it, but he can't even take care of his family. He i s selfish and fat. Anyways, the above paragraph was really long and complicated, so without further adieu, I am going to recreate them.
"Ah, friend Sancho," replied the cathedral priest, "but that only takes care of relishing the money, and the master of an estate has to be responsible for doing justice. This requires ability and common sense, and especially a boldness to do the right thing. If you start without that, then everything will go wrong and end a disaster. This is why God helps accomplish simple man's wishes, just as He confronts the wise man's evil objectives."
"I don't understand those doctrines," replied Sancho. "All I believe is that as soon as I get to be a count, I'll know how to act like a count. I've got just as much courage as the next man, and maybe even more bulk. I'd be just as much a ruler of my property as anyone else is of his, and when I'm in command, I'll do what I want to do. Doing what I want to do, will make me happy. Being happy will make me satisfied. When I'm satisfied, I'll have all I could ask for. Having all I could ask for will be the end of it. So let the estate come to me and let God worry about the rest. Then, as one blind man said to the other, we'll see what we'll see."
"That conviction makes a lot of sense, Sancho-- but just the same, there's a lot to be said about this business of ruling acreage."
"Ah, brother Sancho," replied the cathedral priest, "but that only takes care of enjoying the rent, and the lord of an estate has to be responsible for administering justice, and this requires ability and common sense, and especially a determination to do the right thing, and if you start without that, then everything will go wrong, and end wrong - which is why God helps carry out the simple man's wishes, just as He sets His face against the wise man's evil intentions."
"I don't know anything about those philosophies," replied Sancho. "All I know is that as soon as I get to be count, I'll know how to act like a count, because I've got just as much soul as the next man, and maybe even more body, and I'd be just as much the ruler of my estates as anyone else is of his, and when I'm in charge I'll do what I want to do, and doing what I want to do, I'll make myself happy, and making myself happy, I'll be satisfied, and when I'm satisfied, that's all I could ask for, and having all I could ask for, that'll be the end of it, so let the estate come and leave the rest to God and then, as one blind man said to the other, we'll see what we'll see."
"That philosophy makes a lot of sense, Sancho-- but just the same, there's a lot to be said about this business of governing estates."
I think that this conversation is really hilarious. Sancho proved as sane as are crazy hero. He thinks that he is going to get to be the governor of an island, and that he'll even be good at it, but he can't even take care of his family. He i s selfish and fat. Anyways, the above paragraph was really long and complicated, so without further adieu, I am going to recreate them.
"Ah, friend Sancho," replied the cathedral priest, "but that only takes care of relishing the money, and the master of an estate has to be responsible for doing justice. This requires ability and common sense, and especially a boldness to do the right thing. If you start without that, then everything will go wrong and end a disaster. This is why God helps accomplish simple man's wishes, just as He confronts the wise man's evil objectives."
"I don't understand those doctrines," replied Sancho. "All I believe is that as soon as I get to be a count, I'll know how to act like a count. I've got just as much courage as the next man, and maybe even more bulk. I'd be just as much a ruler of my property as anyone else is of his, and when I'm in command, I'll do what I want to do. Doing what I want to do, will make me happy. Being happy will make me satisfied. When I'm satisfied, I'll have all I could ask for. Having all I could ask for will be the end of it. So let the estate come to me and let God worry about the rest. Then, as one blind man said to the other, we'll see what we'll see."
"That conviction makes a lot of sense, Sancho-- but just the same, there's a lot to be said about this business of ruling acreage."

No comments:
Post a Comment