In Chapter 31 of Don Quijote, Sancho Panza, the squire of Don Quijote, had just gotten back from delivering a letter to Don Quijote's lady. But Sancho had not even delivered the message, because after a day and a half of traveling, Sancho had discovered that he did not have the letter. He had forgotten it with his insane master. Sancho, not wanting his hero to think badly of him, came up with a story that he could tell the madman instead. So, when Don Quijote asked:
"And tell me: what was that queen of beauty doing, when you got there? Surely you found her threading pearls , or embroidering with golden thread some mysterious motto for this enslaved knight of hers."
"That wasn't how I found her," replied Sancho, "but out in the yard, at her house, sifting two or three bushels of wheat."
"Then count on it my friend," said Don Quijote, "those grains of wheat were grains of pearl, when she touched them with her hands. But was it fine white wheat or the heavy brown kind?"
"It was just plain ordinary red," answered Sancho.
"Then let me tell you," said Don Quijote, "sifted by her hands, it surely became the whitest of white flour. But go on: when you gave her my letter, what did she do?"
"When I walked over to give it to her," replied Sancho, "she was working the sieve back and forth, with a lot of wheat in it, so she said to me: 'Just put your letter on that sach over there, my friend, because I can't read it until I'm done with all this sieving.' "
"Ah, what a sensible lady!" said Don Quijote. "She did that so she could read it slowly and carefully, all by herself..."
The conversation between the two companions goes on for a while longer, but I thought that this specific scene was very interesting. I had two reasons.
The first: Sancho lied to his master. I was amazed when he did this, because Sancho is usually very truthful and humble. He also knew that if his master found out that Sancho had not delivered the letter, that Sancho would get a nice beating, but the same thing would happen if Do Quijote found out that Sancho was deceiving him about his honored lady.
The second: Sancho told his crazy master what Sancho would have really seen had he truly delivered the message. I thought that this was very intelligent, but what I thought was even more fascinating was the way that Don Quijote responded. No-matter what Sancho said, the insane knight twisted it to sound extremely elegant. Having been trapped in his own world, the madman would not here anything bad about his lady, and always tried to make it sound as wonderful a possible.
I really enjoy reading Don Quijote, because he is so crazy he's funny, and because his character is so original.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment