Thursday, September 17, 2009

Don Quijote

In Cervantes' Don Quijote, Don is in an argument, saying that all knights errant should have a lady, to whom they are in love with.

"I hereby affirm that there cannot be a knight errant who has no lady, because it is as fitting and natural for them to be in love as it is for the sky to have stars, and I know perfectly well I have never seen the history of a knight errant which shows him without love affairs, which is exactly the reason, too, that were they in fact without a lady, no one would believe they were legitimate knights, but just bastard ones, who hadn't gotten into the stronghold of knighthood through the doorway but by climbing over the wall like a highwayman or a thief."

I, for one, do not agree with Don Quijote at all. I believe that some knights, may be so caught up with activities of knighthood, carrying out quests, and the like, that they do not have time to fall in love. Although, in most fiction novels of chivalrous knights, the knight eventually falls in love and lives happily-ever-after with his lady, that did not, and does not always happen in reality. In fact, many men, whether they are knights errant, or just good honest men, go through life, working hard, and never even think about girls or love.

PS: The green highlight is the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment