The proceeding paragraph is from "Captain From Castile," by Samuel Shellabarger, chapter19, as Pedro's sister has been strapped to the garrucha or strappado:
Every nerve in Pedro's body writhed. He was vaguely conscious of his mother's weeping, of de Silva's smile, of his father's haggard face, of the judges leaning forward, of the clerk sitting with his poised quill. He looked here and there in spite of himself, his eyes trying to escape.
Came a thin, sharp scream.
If I had to sit, chained to a chair and watch my beloved little sister, get tortured on a rack, I would be writhing and trying not to watch too, because my heart would be broken and I could not watch my most loved friend be tortured and not be able to do anything. I would also be praying that the horrible torturers would get punished, and that my sister would be delivered quickly from her pain.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment