The Colonel stood for a full minute surveying us calmly...
"I have heard from many sources that you are dissatisfied, that you wish to go back to Kentucky. If that be so, I say, 'Go...' We have taken a brave and generous people into the fold of the Republic, and they have shown their patriotism by giving us freely of their money and stores... They have given the last proof of that patriotism this day. Yes, they have come to me and offered to take your places, to finish the campaign which you have so well begun and wish to abandon. To-day I shall enroll their militia under the flag for which you have fought... But if there be any who have faith in me and in the cause for which we have come here, who have the perseverance and the courage to remain, I will reenlist them..." (This passage was taken from The Crossing, by Winston Churchill.)
I really liked this scene. I think the Colonel's character is a real hero. He knows how his troops are feeling and also knows how to encourage them and keep them going. At this point he is almost putting them on a guilt trip. 'You came this far, and you're giving up? How can you do that and call yourself a man?' is the type of attitude he has and I think it is great. The character is intelligent, strategical, and courageous. He walks into a country will thousands of hostile Indians with only 200 guys, half of which are tired of the campaign. He is either an idiot, or extremely brave. I'll go with the latter option.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Winston Churchill is particularly good at isolating moments that show dramatic leadership. You have an "of which" in your part that should be "of whom," since the antecedent refers to humans.
ReplyDelete