I immediately procured a horse and started for the country, taking no baggage with me, of course. There is an insignificant creek... between Jefferson Barracks and the place to which I was going, and at that day there was not a bridge over it... On this occasion it had been raining heavily... I found the banks full to overflowing, and the current rapid. I looked at it a moment to consider what to do... I struck into the stream and in an instant the horse was swimming and I being carried down by the current. I headed the horse towards the other bank and soon reached it, wet through and without other clothes on that side of the stream. I went on, however, to my destination and borrowed a dry suit from my--future-- brother-in-law.
I really like Ulysses S. Grant, not just because he has my name. He was born in a boring little town in Ohio to a tanner and his wife. No-one would have thought that he would ever be a president or even a military hero, but he became both. It wasn't easy for him and there were many difficult obstacles, including devastating wars with bloody battles. However, Ulysses would not give up and he overcame them all. What a guy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment