Friday, December 11, 2009

The Three Musketeers

"Is the king accustomed to give you such reasons? No. He says to you jauntily, 'Gentlemen, there is fighting going on in Gascony or in Flanders; go and fight,' and you go there. Why? You need give yourselves no more uneasiness about this."
"D'Artagnan is right," said Athos; "here are our three leaves of absence which came from M. de Treville, and here are three hundred pistoles which came from I don't know where. So let us go and get killed where we are told to go. Is life worth the trouble of so many questions? D'Artagnan, I am ready to follow you."

I loved this quote. D'Artagnan was trying to get his 3 friends to follow him into an adventure, but he can not tell them where. I thought that it was very clever of him to use the king as an example. 'You don't question the king, so don't question me,' was basically what he meant. I also enjoyed Athos' response. 'Yeah! Let's all go on an adventure and get killed. I'm in!' I thought it was funny. Alexandre Dumas did a great job with the creation or recreation of D'Artagnan, Athos, Porthos, and Aramis. I love The Three Musketeers.

No comments:

Post a Comment